Re: Sound dev disables when switching users in core1

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 08:45 -0500, Steve Berry wrote:

> > You can edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf to enable 2 X servers at the same
> > time so that you don't have to log off when your wife uses the PC.
> > Search for [servers] and uncomment server 1.  Now one of you can have

> I was discussing this option with some Linux users in a irc channel, and
> they told me it was NOT possible.
>
> ***** Since I have yet to put this to work for me yet. I wanted your
> actual review of how well this works -
>
> "this" being :
>
> Having 2 desktops running simultaneously.

By simply uncommenting server 1 in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, everything
works perfectly in both X sessions except for audio, TV cards and
non-HID USB devices such as scanners and cameras.  I have modified
device permissions so that both my wife I can play audio, change audio
mixer settings, and watch TV while using our respective X session.
Since my wife does not yet use the scanner or USB camera I have not
modified USB permissions.

I posted the simple edits needed to allow both sessions to play audio
and TV video to this list about 1 week ago.

With this configuration it makes little sense to use any sort of active
screensaver, much less a 3D version.  Otherwise the inactive session's
screensaver will eat precious CPU cycles.  I simply set both sessions to
blank the screen.

My wife and I have used this configuration for about 1 year and neither
of us have any unresolved issues.  The system operates exactly the same
as if only 1 X session were active.  We just have to be careful about
rebooting (make sure the other user has no unsaved work) and not leaving
multimedia running if we leave the PC (other user cannot turn it off,
but can turn down volume of the offending input).

Happy hacking,
Kevin Freeman