Re: Why FC-2?

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>For some reason this issue -- installation versus upgrading --
>seems to bring out the dogmatists,
>most of whom as far as I can see have never actually tried both methods,
>but still seem sure which is best.

Oh I started out doing upgrades, but after various burns moved to fresh
installs years ago.

The big reason is that its really REALLY difficult to properly QA an
upgrade process, trying to cover all the eventualities and conditions that
_may_ have occured on the system since it was installed.

Whereas with a fresh install, its a simpler situation to emulate in QA.

I'm probably dogmatic about it too, but thats because it works well for
_me_, in large environments, where I need to work efficiently and
repeatedly.