Getting noticed so you can get support (was: mouse and micro-soft)

On Friday 12 March 2004 11:57 am, Gertjan Vinkesteijn wrote:
>  Because my girlfriend was in, I showed her the login screen with a
> flashing yellow color, yellow is her favorit color, instead of the usual
> geForge screen?
> 1. it flashed okay
> 2. my machine stayed on hanging on mounting local file systems
> 3. no sweat, i am sowhat paranoya, thus i put win2000 repair disk
> 4. i outcommented with a # the ntfs line in /etc/fstab
> 5. bah, still hanging
> 6. i removed the ntfs line, it worked fantastico
> 7. for one thing no, gaim would not logon to messenger any longer
> 8. my logitech mouse is still bizar

Gertjan,

Getting support on a public mailing list isn't always easy. The people who
have the answers you are looking for are very busy. You have to catch their
eye with a good subject line, and then keep your post simple.

I would suggest breaking up your issues into seperate emails. Here are some
suggestions for the subject lines I would use:

(2) Hangs during mount of local NTFS filesystem
 - You might want to mention that you commented out the NTFS line
in /etc/fstab
 - You may want to talk about what else you have tried, what the symptoms
are, etc...

(7) GAIM not working with Messenger any longer
-  What messenger service are you using? MSN? AOL? Something local that
isn't here in the US?
- How did you get it to work before?

(8) Logitech mouse behaving strangely
 - What have you tried?
 - What is it doing?

Go ahead and post again and maybe someone with the right info will reply. I
unfortunately can't help you much beyond this.

Also, try to keep personal comments and such off the list. It is a busy list
and if everyone posts about their personal life, then it will be harder to
find the real issues, and those who can help will stop reading it
altogether.

Good luck, I hope you get the help you need.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx