Re: ... fedora-selinux

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

It depends on how well it keeps itself inline with staying out of site for a normal user. I have no guess on the percentage of Linux users that will not override the SELinux features. I am open to the concept. But do not want additional problems thrown into the mix. NT4 as comparison caused me headaches as a user. I avoided it because it was not setup to stay out of the way of using a computer.

[Sorry for the excessive snipping.]

No problem with the snippage.

It's my understanding that the default security configuration will stay out of the way and will provide a 'normal' seeming sort of environment. I agree with you that the new default should not make it more difficult for a normal user to use and manage their computer.

The big bonus of SELinux is that you can then go in and, in a much more fine grained manner than is currently possible, adjust how certain things are or are not allowed to run. In the long run, this will help make the system -more- useable than currently because you'll be able to configure activities that are traditionally 'root only' to be more accessible by authenticated (or power) users without opening up everything else.

This sounds like the right directon to take with the concept. I know the points brought up about running a cd-burner, without having to be root, will be much appreciated. I am sure that there are many now root priveleged items that will be more user friendly because of the SELinux activity.

Jim