Re: ... fedora-selinux

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:47:26PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

> >Just as many cities have code requirements for walls and external doors
> >this can be a good thing.
> >

> I can see this with users wanting no passwords and wanting to run as
> root user. If some practical security was not mandated, Linux would have
> ended up pretty dangerous with malware attacks. I'll probably try out
> SELinux shortly. I was sitting back and reading the list before I
> actually tried to set it up.

In this building code case, I was thinking about security and fire
safety.

Many city fire/ building codes require thicker drywall for the garage
and the kitchen.  Drywall is a good insulator and will slow the
progress of a fire.  The garage and the kitchen both have fuel and
potential sources of ignition.

External doors will be thicker and have a solid core.  Internal closet
doors will have a hollow core and be lighter and thiner.  Some cities
require steel cased insulated doors between the home and the garage.
That SUV with 40 gallons of gas parked next to a natural gas water
heater is interesting.  Then there is the fuel can for the lawn mower,
old paint, lawn and pool chemicals...

As you walk through an apartment building, your home, your office
etc. pay attention to the different types doors and door locks.  Think
about how the concept of doors and door locks applies to your
computer.  Check the price differences in a home improvement center.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l