how to switch monitors

My monitor died today.  :(

I plugged in an old 14"er that was sitting around, but it doesn't have
the capabilities of the other monitor.  How can I configure GDM for a
different monitor?  The graphical display was unreadable.  I was able to
CNTL-ALT-F3 and login to a text based display and switch to "init 3"
mode so that GDM and X and all the graphical tasks are not running.  Now
I would like to get graphical mode working with the new monitor.  In
case the broken monitor is repairable, is there configuration files I
can backup to make falling back to the current configuration easier?
--
Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto