Re: [Hand Holding] was [ANNOUNCE] New mailing list: fedora-selinux

Aaron Matteson wrote:

I think having to explain everything in every announcement is pretty
rediculous. It should be common knowledge, even for new windows
imagrants to use google. More and more time and energy are being spent
on holding-the-newbies-hand in addition to changing his/her diapers for
them.

Common people, if you do not know something typing google.com is a hell
of a lot easier then typing out an email to bitch.

I respectfully disagree. No, the announcer does not have to explain everything. But I don't see the huge effort in supplying a sentence or two to describe what the software does. After the first announcement, it would be canned anyway.

I've been working with Unix since 1988. I appreciate that Linux gives me the power of Unix for the cost of PC hardware. But the volume and variety of software is vastly greater for Linux than for any Unix variant I ever worked with in the past. If you have developed some software that you think would be useful to me or others, tell us about it! If you expect me to discover it, I probably will not. And that's a loss for both of us.

You are correct, it would have been far easier for me to google "SELinux" than type out an email to bitch. The reason I went to the trouble was to make a point I thought would be useful to the community. I apolgize for phrasing it in a manner that ruffled feathers.

Andrew Robinson