Re: OK to use both yum and rpm on same system?

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:58:14PM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

> >Hi, I'm new to Linux and currently using rpm with FC1.  My questions
> >are about using both yum and rpm for package management on a single
> >system:
> >
> >1. If I use yum to install package X, will rpm recognize package X is
> >now installed?
> >
> >2. Will rpm be able to update package X that was installed by yum?
> >
> >3. Is it bad practice to mix yum and rpm for package management on my
> >system?  In other words, if I begin using yum, does that mean I should
> >stop using rpm?
> >
> >Many thanks,
> >Ted.
>

> Yum is only a front-end for rpm. It downloads all the needed files and
> then it uses rpm to install them... So , the answers are:
> 1 - yes , because rpm is behind yum...
> 2 - yes (and yum will be able to update X package that was installed by
> rpm , if there's the X package on a yum repository)
> 3 - no , it's not  a bad practice .. Soon you'll be using yum a lot ,
> because it saves you from the headache of trying to find the
> dependencies for a given package. Just run yum install X and it'll do
> the job. I use yum , apt and rpm all day and I assure you that there's
> no problems using (yum and rpm) or (yum , apt and rpm) or (apt and rpm)
> [the brackets are only for clarity... programming vices.. ;) ]

For what it is worth both yum and up2date on FC1 can be used.
It is usefull for the paranoid to set up both and only update
one at a time.

Both download rpm packages and use 'rpm' to install them.

If you do use both be aware that they will save packages in
different cache directories so you could have a space issue.

I happen to use both but one (up2date) only looks at main stream mirrors.
The other, yum, is configured to look at more 'diverse' distributions
where more caution in selecting packages can be desired.

I do collect my saved rpm's from both in a local resource so duplicates
that gobble space are not an issue.  I also drop my http download rpm's
in this same local resource.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net