OK to use both yum and rpm on same system?

Hi, I'm new to Linux and currently using rpm with FC1. My questions are about using both yum and rpm for package management on a single system:

1. If I use yum to install package X, will rpm recognize package X is now installed?

2. Will rpm be able to update package X that was installed by yum?

3. Is it bad practice to mix yum and rpm for package management on my system? In other words, if I begin using yum, does that mean I should stop using rpm?

Many thanks,
Ted.