Re: Tags for root mail multiple bozes --was-- Re: RPM database

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell wrote:
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:22:30PM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

Looks like my co-worker didnt see this e-mail then... He receives all the e-mails to root for our domain (about 100 linux boxes , and about 50 sun) and he usually doesnt have the time to read them all..

What are the tricks to set NAME so that cron, Anacron, LogWatch,
etc. mail messages have different sortable From and Subject lines that
make it easy to see what machine is what (tools like 'frm').

I don't think there are any tricks needed... In my (apparantly default) configuration:

Logwatch messages have a subject of "LogWatch for SYSTEMNAME".
Cron messages have a subject of "Cron <root@SYSTEMNAME> CRONSCRIPT"

Unless you masquerade the sender address, they'll also all be from "root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

It would be nice to sort by Subject and or From so at a glance
it is possible to look for differences.

Yes, it is useful.