Re: Quest for linux supported Wireless

Rick Stevens wrote:
Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

Some corrections:
1. Not all D-Link cards use TI chips. Mine (DWL-G650 B3) uses an Atheros
   AR5212 a/b/g chip.

Yes, they've started using other chipsets, but the first 802.11g stuff
was all TI.  A lot of their later 802.11b was also TI.

2. Not all chip makers are bozo's.

I didn't intend to infer that they were.  I meant those manufacturers
that will not release interface specs of their chips to the open source
community are, at the very least, short-sighted and cut themselves off
from a fairly large market share.  This is not limited to WiFi makers,
but to many others (display adaptors, for example).

I understand about the WiFi frequency issue with the FCC and there are
parts of the API that may have to be distributed in binary, but that
bit should a) validate its input parameters, b) the API should be
published.  If you write API code that does not validate its input
parameters, you're not doing your job.

As an aside, I don't wish to be pedantic but the plural of "bozo" is
"bozos".  One of my pet peeves is seeing people use "'s" for plurals.
"'s" denotes a possessive form of a noun or pronoun or a contraction of
a word and "is"--it does NOT indicate plurality:

That should be:

	...a word and "is" or "has"...

Of course, "has" can be posessive, too, so I suppose I'm being
redundant.

See?  I even correct myself.
<Rick's kicking Rick's own arse!>
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-     Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me?     -