Re: Kickstart install

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 16:01, Steve Bergman wrote:
> I'm working on making a Fedora kickstart CD for a customer of mine who
> is now running windows desktops.  I've sold them on it out, however, I
> know that I have to make it easy enough for their people, who "know a
> little about computers" (i.e. Windows) to actually install these units.
> I will handle the linux server side.  These are to be X terminals into a
> desktop running on the server.  Like I say, to sell then on this idea,
> it's gotta be fast, easy, and not require me being involved in the
> installation of each workstation.
>
> I've created a kickstart CD which installs Fedora Core 1 with "X",
> Gnome, and Printing Services as the only options.  It turns off all the
> (many) unneeded services, messes with inittab a bit and reboots into a
> remote X login from the server using DHCP  to get it's network address.
>
> This rather minimal installation requires all 3 CDs.  I could have sworn
> that I have done similar installations of Fedora and it only required 1,
> or at most 2.  It was installing Japanese fonts and stuff from the 3rd
> CD which are quite unnecessary for this installation.  I've confirmed
> the software installation selections in the ks.cfg file.  About 1500MB
> of stuff was installed.  Anyone know if ?maybe I'm making a silly
> mistake somewhere?  Do I need gnome if all I want from it is the ability
> to run redhat-config-printer in gui mode?  How can I trim this down?
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated!
>
> -Steve Bergman
To make things easy, you may want to consider placing the ISO files on
to the linux server and create an NFS share. When you are installing,
tell it you wish to install via an NFS mount, and then you don't need to
change any CD's over at all.

I noticed while i was playing with the Kickstart stuff, that it appears
to install all the language versions even if I tell it not to. I am sure
I am missing some thing, but I am not too sure what (yet).

Does this help?
Doug