Re: CVS hosting

Jonathan M. Gardner wrote:

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 6:46 pm, Richmond Pabilona wrote:

Hi guys,
   I would like to make my fedora box at home into a cvs repository
server, a have a DSL connection at home, but my problem here is : my
brother uses windows xp at home and his computer is the one that dials
to the ISP for the dsl connection, our local network at home is like
this, my brother's computer has two NIC, one is connected to the DSL
modem, the other NIC is connected to a hub which is also where my
computer is connected, this is how we share the internet connection.
The problem is will i be able to host a cvs with our current setup?
how?

Go spend $20 on a router that can do NAT for you. Hook up the router to the DSL line and put both your computer and the XP box behind the router.

Set up port forwarding on the router so that 22 (ssh) goes to the linux box. Use CVS over SSH and all will be well.

Bonus points if you forward ports 80 and 443 for your HTTP server, 993 for you IMAPS server (so you can store all your mail on your Linux box and read it anywhere) and other ports as needed.

I second the NAT router suggestion, your brother will also then have the added benefit of not having to connect a vulnerable system like XP directly to the internet so there is less chance of his PC being hacked or catching one of the nasty RPC type worms..

It also means that his PC will not have to be running all the time when only you want to go online, more environmentally friendly.. :)

Later..