Kernel 2.6 - At my wits end

I am writing this post from a system with an Asus K7V motherboard stuffed with an 850MHz Athlon processor, 512MB RAM and an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card with three hard drives (Seagate ST15150N, Western Digital WDIGTL WDE4360-1807A3 and a Quantum XP34300W). This system has been running Fedora Core 1 for months now using a 2.4 kernel. Currently I have:

> uname -a
Linux mcduff.nurdog 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl #2 Thu Feb 19 23:09:41 MST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

For better or for worse I had wanted to make one large drive out of the three smaller drives using software RAID0 but because I could not install on a RAID0 partition I made a RAID1 /boot partition and a RAID0 / partition. The install worked perfectly with this setup and I have absolutely no problems booting with a 2.4 kernel.

Recently I tried to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel (kernel-2.6.1-1.65 from test). No matter what I do I get the following error at boot time:

mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /init/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel ram
Kernel Panic: No init found.

According to the list archives and what I could find on the web via google (seaching for Kernel Panic No init) other people have experienced similar problems. Basically it appears that I can not find my / partition when I attempt to boot into a 2.6 kernel. Frankly I don't understand why this should be case since I can boot okay with the same setup into a 2.4 kernel. Typically I have found these types of problems usually involve an issue with the initial ramdisk and/or mkinitrd. There were several bugs I saw involving hardware RAID which while the symptoms were essentially identical the solutions didn't seem particular relevant to my problem. For example, in one case using LILO instead of GRUB fixed the problem. It appears that major and minor block numbers were not passed properly. LILO did the proper thing and GRUB did not.

Does anyone have an idea as to why I should be able to boot into a 2.4 kernel with no problems but get a kernel panic when booting into 2.6 kernel? I didn't do anything with mkinitrd. Is this possibly my problem? Do I need a new version perhaps?

Some pertinent information:

root@mcduff> cat grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md1
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.1-1.65)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1-1.65 ro root=/dev/md1
       initrd /initrd-2.6.1-1.65.img
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ro root=/dev/md1
       initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.img
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2166.nptl)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl ro root=/dev/md1
       initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl.img

root@mcduff> cat raidtab
raiddev             /dev/md1
raid-level                  0
nr-raid-disks               3
chunk-size                  64
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              0
   device          /dev/sda3
   raid-disk     0
   device          /dev/sdb3
   raid-disk     1
   device          /dev/sdc2
   raid-disk     2
raiddev             /dev/md0
raid-level                  1
nr-raid-disks               2
chunk-size                  64
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              0
   device          /dev/sda1
   raid-disk     0
   device          /dev/sdb1
   raid-disk     1

root@mcduff> cat fstab
/dev/md1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/md0 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
nureyevtoo:/home /mnt/nureyevtoo nfs defaults 0 0
nureyev:/home /mnt/home nfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

root@mcduff> dir /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root  tmp  var
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  usr

As I said I am at my wits end. I can boot into either of the 2.4 kernels but not the 2.6 kernel. I obviously have something basic screwed up but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Paul (ganci@xxxxxxxxxx)