Re: smartd startup and md:recovery thread got woken up

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 08:24, Merrill Jr. Butterman wrote:

> 2. On shutdown and when it gets to sending all
> processes the term signal, I get a cryptic message of
> "md: recovery thread got woken up" and then it
> proceeds to send all processes the kill signal. Since
> I'm new to this any help from the more seasoned users
> would be much appreciated thanks

Hi Merrill,

"md" is a subsystem that takes care of software raid. Whether you are
using software raid or not, md has a look at startup and shutdown to see
if it needs to assemble raid arrays, or syncronise raid arrays,
respectively. The "md: recovery thread got woken up" message is just
indicating that md is checking to see if it needs to sync any raid
arrays before the disks spin down. It is harmless.

Cheers, Ben