Re: gpm shutdown failed

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:10, Merrill Jr. Butterman wrote:
> Being new to this list, I appreciate your patience in
> me getting this new fc1 install working. Looking at
> system logs I determined my system was suffering from
> a "gpm shutdown failed", I suspect that this might be
> causing the error in my last post of "md: recovery
> thread got woken up" because gpm is not shutting down
> successfully with the term signal the system must
> force a termination of the process by killing it. So
> all that being said what is gpm and what would cause
> this behavior? I look at red hat website and tried to
> cross reference it in bugzilla with no results. I also
> have had problems mounting my hard drive so is these
> events related in some way? In my logs this seemed to
> be the only error journaled. thanks for your help, I'm
> sure this issue has already been addressed so if you
> know the link to it please provide me with it.
> Thanks again
> MButterman

Hi Merrill,

gpm provides mouse services to text based sessions. To try it out, press
CNTL-ALT-F1, which takes you to a text based terminal. Wiggle your mouse
- if gpm is configured and running, you should see a mouse "block"
pointer moving around. Press CNTL-ALT-F7 to get back to X (the windowing
system).

gpm is (by default) started when the system boots and shut down when the
system is shut down. If you get a message saying it has failed to
shutdown, it may mean gpm had already shut down prior to the system
shutdown requesting it to. I'm not too sure why gpm would have shut down
by itself.

You can verify if gpm is running by typing "service gpm status".

I doubt this has any connection to problems mounting disks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ben