Re: I need advice about hardware :) Tv tuner, Video card,etc..

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 08:04, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Seg, 2004-03-01 às 14:04, Adam Voigt escreveu:
> > I highly recommend the Happauge (not sure if that's spelled right)
> > PV-250, it's got on-board encoding, and very good support.
>
> several people reports problems with this one on video4linux list. I
> used bttv's based boards without any glitch, but the quality is not THAT
> good...

Wow, I'm usually the one ASKING the questions. I have the Hauppage
PVR-250 working perfectly, but it is specifically for the MythTV setup
(www.mythtv.org) with lots of advice from this excellent site -
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/. I had a lot of problems getting it running,
but once I did the quality is outstanding, TV captures are flawless and
capturing to full DVD spec (VBR up to 9000) requires very little in the
way of resources due to the onboard MPEG-2 encoder. I'm using a Radeon
7500 for TV out and it's working great. The ivtv driver required for
this card is not the easiest thing to get working, but with some
patience and a lot of research it works great with MythTV. BTW, it
includes a remote and there's also various resources on the web that
will tell you how to map this card for various different styles of
universal remotes.

I have had no success getting this card to work with any other TV
viewing/capturing programs available for linux because it is not a bttv
chip, but a cx88 chip. Depending on how you wish to configure your setup
this may be the card for you or not. If you check out the "wilsonet"
link above you'll see that he has a lot of information about the PVR-350
as well, which does have an S-Video TV out.

Just some personal experience.

Will Clifton