Re: Second Ethernet

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:39:28PM -0800, Axel IS Main wrote:

> It would appear the irq situation is not the problem. Why would I worry
> about the mac being bound to a specific ethX? Ever hear of kudzu? It
> works, you know. In any event, I believe I've traced the problem to
> upgrades being done on the adephia cable network. I still have one of
> the "old" modems so I can't change anything. It would seem that even
> though the modem can be made to see the new mac, the system won't assign
> an ip to a mac that it hasn't seen through that modem. Once I get the
> new modem it should work. Until then I guess I'm just screwed.

Of interest you can change the MAC address on most Ethernet ports.
If you have a situation where the MAC address is important be sure
to document it in you system notebook for just this type of trouble.

extracted from the ifconfig man page.

      hw class address
              "Set the hardware address of this interface, if the device driver
              supports  this  operation.   The keyword must be followed by the
              name of the hardware class and the printable ASCII equivalent of
              the  hardware  address.   Hardware  classes  currently supported
              include ether (Ethernet), ax25 (AMPR AX.25), ARCnet  and  netrom
              (AMPR NET/ROM)."

For a GUI interface see redhat-config-network (soon to be system-config-network in FC2)

You can also add or swap the lines like this in ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1.

    HWADDR=00:05:5d:29:e2:f1

The lines need to be different... as long as you do not duplicate MAC
address on local wires you are OK.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net