Re: RH ES2.1, how to upgrade to kernel 2.6?

>>On Monday March 1, 2004 Adam Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I know this list is for fedora, but I don't know of an enterprise
>>> mail list, and I figured some of you out there may run ES 2.1 and
>>> could help.  I have a server I need to upgrade to kernel 2.6 for >2GB
>>> file size for samba file support.  I recompiled from redhat 9 source
>>> rpms the
>>> required things, except binutils, procps, and modutils won't compile
>>>with rpmbuild --rebuild, they all error out.  So I thought maybe I
>>> could
>>> just download the RH9 binary rpms and install them, but it errors
>>>saying  failed dependancies, libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) required.  RedHat ES
>>> 2.1 comes  with glibc 2.2.4, so I'm looking for some suggestions how
>>> to upgrade  these 3 packages so I can upgrade to kernel 2.6.  any
>>>suggestions?  Thanks!
>>>

> dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>Adam,
>>
>>Is there any particular reason why you cannot upgrade to RHEL/ES v3.0?
>> It's not as advanced as Fedora Core, but the difference isn't nearly so
>> large as with RHEL/ES v2.1. You'd still have to recompile stuff, but
>> maybe not as much.
>>
>>--Doc Savage
>>  Fairview Heights, IL

> We use a proprietary piece of software called Exlibris Aleph (library
> cataloging software) and it uses Oracle 9 for its database.
> Unfortunately, Exlibris tells us they only support RH ES 2.1 because
> thats what Oracle supports, and what Exlibris's code will compile
> against.  We originally tried RH9 and even after extensive modification
> of their code, they couldn't get it all to compile correctly.  Our
> server with the large RAID array is this server, and the only server we
> have with a large enough RAID array to temporrarilly hold the backups
> while they are written to tape.

Adam,

I could be very mistaken here (if so, don't be shy), but I believe Oracle
supports RHEL/ES v3.0 as well as v2.1. In fact, I seem to recall a story
in the tech trades a few weeks back that said Oracle + RHEL/ES v3 have
earned acceptance under the Common Criteria program for U.S. government
purchase and use. If it's Exlibris that doesn't support v3.0, though,
that's a different situation entirely. I could probably come up with a
quick list of a dozen reasons why their code could be v2.1-specific. One
that comes almost instantly to mind might be code that's not thread-safe
in an NPTL environment. I'm beginning to appreciate your problem.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL