RH ES2.1, how to upgrade to kernel 2.6?

Hi, I know this list is for fedora, but I don't know of an enterprise mail list, and I figured some of you out there may run ES 2.1 and could help. I have a server I need to upgrade to kernel 2.6 for >2GB file size for samba file support. I recompiled from redhat 9 source rpms the required things, except binutils, procps, and modutils won't compile with rpmbuild --rebuild, they all error out. So I thought maybe I could just download the RH9 binary rpms and install them, but it errors saying failed dependancies, libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) required. RedHat ES 2.1 comes with glibc 2.2.4, so I'm looking for some suggestions how to upgrade these 3 packages so I can upgrade to kernel 2.6. any suggestions? Thanks!