RE: Sendmail required?

Sorry, I am Newbie with the same problem.
is the .localdomain textual or is can it be any made up name?

I have a small 2 computer dial up setup at home and I have
always wondered if it is really necessary to have a domain.

I wondered always if like with the 192.168.x.x public
net addersses there is a similar "public" domain that I could
set up my home computers to in order not to conflict with the
larger Internet at large.

Javier