Kernel Panic Error- Please help

I am new to linux so any answer I would appreciate in the simplest plainest language possible. I am getting the same error regardless of which distribution I try and install on my machine. Currently, I am using a purchased cd of the lastest fedora dist (text only, no graphics). I get this error after the cd boots and I start the install. It stops at this point.

crc error(6) freeing initd memory: 2941 freed
EXT-2 -fs unable to read superblock iso_fs_read_super: bread failed dev=09:02, iso_blkenum=16, block=32
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 09:02

My system is a pentium 233, 4 gig hd and 128 meg ram. Old but should work. It has one partition active right now - a 1 gig dos partition. I know it is not my cds. I think something is screwy in my bios settings. Also I was able to install basic linux earlier in the day but after I repartitioned the hard drive to add the swap and linux partitions (which I have since wiped with fdisk) I have hit this same error over and over. Any help would be huge. Thanks in advance.

- Chris

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed Marketplace. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/