RE: Sendmail required?

Javier Perez said:

> Sorry, I am Newbie with the same problem.
> is the .localdomain textual or is can it be any made up name?

Preferably it is either a reserved name (which I believe is .localdomain,
but I haven't looked up the RFC) or a domain name you control (so that it
will resolve correctly to the machines you want it to).

> I have a small 2 computer dial up setup at home and I have
> always wondered if it is really necessary to have a domain.

"Necessary" is in they eye of the beholder.  You could use "microsoft.com"
if you wanted to, assuming you were running an internal DNS server that
your machines point to.  Of course you would have problems getting to the
real "microsoft.com".  With domain names running in the tens of dollars
per year I would get one just as an e-mail forwarder if nothing else.
Then if you decide to put up a web site you already have the domain.

> I wondered always if like with the 192.168.x.x public
> net addersses there is a similar "public" domain that I could
> set up my home computers to in order not to conflict with the
> larger Internet at large.

I think you mean "private" as in those IPs will not conflict with the
Internet at large.

--
William Hooper