Re: Wireless NIC question (was: WLAN EMERGENCY)

On Feb 26, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Javier Gonzalez wrote:

I desperately need a wlan adapter that will work in my Laptop. I have Fedora Core 1 install, and it seems to be better with wlan, but I have still found a card that it's relatively easy to install. I have tried Linksys Instant Wireless ver.3, and Netgear MA401. Netgear just doesn't do a damn thing for me.
However, Linksys Instant Wireless ver.3 (WPC11) does get powered by the computer, and the socket recognizes the card. However, the ifconfig will not recognize the adapter.

I'm not sure how this qualifies as an emergency. Nevertheless...

I've always been very happy with my Intersil prism2-based cards. In particular, the original DWL-650's have been veddy, veddy good to me. No matter which you go for, the default orinoco_cs driver should work out of the box as eth*. Once you're comfortable with more advanced configuration tasks, you should consider upgrading to the linux-wlan-ng drivers, as they provide more advanced support of the Intersil chipset.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting