Re: New Apache License?

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 22:41, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:26:55 -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote
> > > MySQL AB basically said nobody can use MySQL libraries for non-Free
> > > Software.
> >
> > Again, defeating the purpose of the GPL.  I consider this a Bad
> > Thing(tm).
>
> Actually, this statement here isn't correct.  They do allow people to make
> non-Free software from GPL'ed code.  The MySQL libs that are being sold under
> a closed license are also offered for free GPL download.  It's bait and
> switch, IMO.
>
> "Here, the first hit is free.. but if you want to make some money, you have
> to fork some of it over to us."  This is something I wish wasn't tolerated in
> the Free software community.

"Free as in beer" or "Free as in Freedom".  Can you not view the code,
extend the ideas into current MySQL implementations or compile the code
yourself?

I obviously don't think _all_ software should be free as in beer,
otherwise I'm wasting my time in school.  I would like to think that if
someone has the knowledge and ability to extend/modify/improve code for
themselves or for a fee then they should be able to do so.

I don't believe end-users who only eat up _only_ binaries deserve a free
lunch on someone else's hard work.  I guess that might make me an
elitist, but I'll take that flame any day.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,