Re: New Apache License?

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:34:18 -0800 "Bevan C. Bennett" <bevan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Richard Welty wrote:

> > the MySQL license change is odious because it puts businesses between
> > a rock and a hard place -- they get four choices. one, don't upgrade MySQL.
> > two, pay for a commercial license. three, place their code under the GPL.
> > four, switch to another database.
> >
> > and of course, if they don't notice the license change until too late, they
> > have a bit of a problem.

> It's my understanding that a company can still use their own code with
> MySQL internally in whatever way they want, since the license issues
> only kick in if you want to redistribute.

if you read the informational material on the MySQL AB web site,
you'll see that they are defining redistribution to include making a
copy of an app on another server within an organization.

i don't know if it'd hold up in court, but the whole fact that they are
making a claim like this is enough to leave a sour taste in one's
mouth.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx