Re: Internet only as root

Jeff Vian wrote/ha scritto, On/il 22/02/2004 21:30:

So everything works for the regular user after starting the connection as root??
This is normal, and by default only root is allowed to change interface status.

I see that ppp0 uses eth1, and the routing seems correct as does the DNS so unless your desire is to make it so any user can change the status of the interface, I see no problems.

There are many ways to make it so the regular user can start/stop the adsl connection.
A script to start it with root privledges comes to mind quickly.
To start it at boot time you can use one of the rc. scripts (such as rc.local) or the inittab as simple points to control it. You also can set it up as a service if you wish.

Why don't you use the graphical interface ( redhat-control-network ) and set that internet connection (ppp0) may be started also by users???

Rgds

--

Antonio M.

Working with  Mozilla 1.6 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1
    Uso Mozilla 1.6 su Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1