Re:Re:Internet only as root

>From paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx Sun Feb 22 11:10:27 2004
Subject: Re: fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #1105 - 24 msgs
From: Paul Ryan <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:10:27 +0100

Hi I shortened this as much as possible trying to find the balance
between ballast and having someone new to the thread knowing what is
going on

>On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 15:32, Paul Ryan wrote:

> >>    Hi I have a problem accessing the internet. I can only access it
> >>as root. After numerous attempts to get my ADSL runing with the
> >>Internet setup wizzard and the network device control, without any
> >>luck.  The system would conect but it was like Mozilla, Gaim and Co.
> >>didn't know that I was conected.  I finnaly had luck with
adsl-config,
> >>everything worked as root but only as root. When I boot to a normal
> >>user there is no ppp0 conection listed in the network control (and
yes
> >>I did enable other users) when I use /usr/sbin/adsl-start it seems
> >>conect no error messages but it is the same as with the internet
> >>conection wizzard Mozilla and Co. don't think that I'm conected.
One
> >>other note if I do any configuation with the network control I have
> >>reconfigure my ppp0 conection with adsl-config again otherwise it
> >>won't conect to the internet again.

> Be careful about giving out incorrect information.
> 'adsl-config' is needed once to initialize and save the adsl settings.
>  After that you only use 'ifup ppp0' and 'ifdown ppp0'  to
> connect/disconnect.

True if I log on as root and start a internet connection ,then log on as
a different user I can then use the connection

> To address the issue with nothing seeming to work as a non-root user.
>
> 1. check /etc/resolv.conf and confirm that nameservers are listed.
This
> is rewritten each time you connect via adsl.

The nameservers are listed same as I entered when using adsl-config

> 2.  When you used adsl-config did you tell the system this would be
the
> default route?

To tell the truth I don't remember

> 3.  Is there a default route listed in any of the  files
> /etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

>  or /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX

# Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]|SiS900 10/100 Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:e0:18:f7:bf:46
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=no
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

# Realtek|RTL-8029(AS)
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dialup
HWADDR=00:00:21:4B:CA:D1
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes

> files ??   If there is you will have a conflict in routing and it
won't
> work properly.  Linux only allows one default route.
> 4. To check you have a correct default routing run the command
'netstat
> -r' after connecting via the adsl using 'ifup ppp#
> .  There should be
> one or more lines per adapter, and only one line with a UG flag.  That
> one should point to the adapter connected to the adsl link.

[papa@localhost papa]$ netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
217.5.98.98     *               255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
ppp0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
lo
default         217.5.98.98     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
ppp0
[papa@localhost papa]$