Re: Can't upgrade FC1

Try synaptic. IMHO it's got a better interface than up2date, and I've *never* had a problem with it. One of the things I really like is that I can remove and install packages at the same time, through a very nice GUI. This lets me (for example) install a new kernel update and remove the generation -2 kernel in the same process. Using up2date, I had to manually remove old kernel versions periodically, or run out of space. I don't believe it automatically downloads and installs kernel upgrades (although this may be an option; see next paragraph) but it's so easy to search for new versions and request them manually that I haven't found this to be an issue.
By default synaptic maps a reasonable list of archives, and I've never had significant performance problems. Adding or removing archives is a snap, through a GUI dialog. I haven't tried playing with options, beyond adding an archive to pick up the latest wine distributions, so I can't comment on how far from the defaults it's possible to go. Like up2date, packages are downloaded to a directory under /var. I've mounted (smbfs) a directory on my Win2K server (which has a cd burner) at this point, so packages are downloaded directly to (and installed from) a hard drive on the server. Once a month or so I can offload the whole batch to CD to free up space.
The bottom line is that I would never voluntarily switch back to up2date.
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn

Michael Kearey wrote:

Mike Adolf wrote:

Tried to upgrade FC1 to latest release, but...

up2date says core is up to date but uname -r = 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl, which is old.

I am not completely sure about your particular problem.. However many problems with up2date can be solved by setting up to use a mirror that is up to the task of serving thousands..

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg01577.html

Alternatives to up2date exist, like yum and apt-get for rpm. See http://fedora.artoo.net for lots of good info.

Cheers,
Michael