Re: Powerful and Stable PC Configuration for Linux (Fedora)

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:

Igor Zhidkov wrote:

MotherBoard: ASUS P4P800 i865PE/DUAL DDR400/LAN

I don't know what chipset this mainboard uses, but it's common to use
Realtek controllers.  Realtek chipset ethernet hardware gets the job done,
they're inexpensive, and supported with free software.  They work right
away, and they're plug-and-play.  But they hog the bus and drive up the CPU
load during transfer (no matter what OS you run, probably).  I've seen them
behave similarly on Microsoft Windows systems too.  Realtek ethernet
hardware is best for low-volume/low-cost setups like homes on cable modem or
xDSL.

The integrated Lan on this mobo is a gigabit lan... I dont remmember the controller right now , but I know
that there's a module for it (however , I didnt find it until I plugged a generic nic to install fedora over nfs).

Video Card: 128 MB ATI RADEON 9200 TVOUT AGP X8

I know that the ATI Radeon 9000 AGP with or without TV out is plug-and-play
in Fedora Core 1. It works well with the 3D video games and there's no need
to acquire extra drivers. I can't say whether the 9200 is the same story.

What will be the main use of the video card? If it's only to 2D graphics , any supported chipset will do , even a SIS video card.
However , if you need good 3D quality , go for Nvidia (I have an ATI radeon 9500 pro. DGA has some issues on linux..)

I'd go for a RAID setup of multiple IDE drives.  I've had great experiences
(they're fast, stable, rackmountable, redundantly powered) with
RAIDWeb.com's IDE units, but they are not cheap.  I don't know how much more
money you're willing to spend on RAID (or how much HD space you really
need).  This approach would also require a SCSI card, but a good one is
fairly inexpensive.  RAIDWeb.com's boxes are platform and OS independant, so
you can plug it into any machine with a suitable SCSI port and use it. Maybe
you could pool your funds with other people and buy one unit then share all
the extra storage space you'll gain.

It depends on what he needs to do. If he's gonna do networking simulations using NS , he'll need plenty of space and speed,
so raid is the best option. Otherwise , if the dataset is small enough to be kept on main menory , raid is not very attractive , unless
he needs the security offered by some raid setups.

My experience is that with brand name turnkey systems, you risk paying for a
Microsoft Windows license you don't need (but you can get a refund on that
if you're willing to go through the hassle) and you are buying service if
something on the machine fails. This can be important for a laptop if
someone doesn't know how to operate on them, but all the desktop machines
I've built work reliably for years afterwards.

Some system vendors are already offering linux solutions. However , I dont know if they're available to desktop computers. Dell and IBM
have computers with Redhat , Suse or Windows for server duties...

But I believe that the config he has mentioned earlier is good. If you want to do a network install , try to find the module first.. I dont
remmember the name now , but I think it's something like sk98lin ... A quick search in the archives for p4p800 may find it..

Pedro Macedo