Powerful and Stable PC Configuration for Linux (Fedora)

Dear Guru's.

Please help me in the choice of the PC computer configuration for work under Linux (I intend to instal Fedora on it).

On this computer there will be a complicated scientific calculations performed: user-written programs, mostly C/C++, which run from several days to several weeks.
User's will mostly use KDE or Gnome, with many shell windows opened.

The critical demands for chosen hardware are: -productivness -stable and robust work during high (close to or equal 100%) load

For now I've chosen the following configuration:

CPU:  PENTIUM IV 2.8 GHZ 512CACHE 800 MHz HT
MotherBoard: ASUS P4P800 i865PE/DUAL DDR400/LAN
Memory : 2 X 512 MB DDR 400 MHz
Video Card: 128 MB ATI RADEON 9200 TVOUT AGP X8
HDD: WD 120GB/7200/8MB CACHE
DVD-ROM: ASUS
FDD 1.44": PANASONIC/SONY
Case: CASE for PENTIUM IV 2FANS

Please suggest me any changes which can increase stability of the the configuration during long-time 100% load. Or give an examples of PC configurations you've purchased recently.

Is Asus P4P800 motherboard good for long-time lasting hard use? Or it can be overheated, because it was not initially designed to give maximal stableness, but to provide a best production for limited time periods ?

My another thought is to buy the same configuration, but assembled by some of "brands" like HP - i.e. to order HP brand computer with the same configuration as shown above. As I know, brand name assembled PC computers usually are more stable - isn't it ?

The ideal case is to buy non-PC (SGI, Alpha, Sun) computer, but we're rather limited in money for such computers.

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions, All !!!

Igor.