Re: YUM ROCKS!!

John Rowan wrote:

WipeOut wrote:

YUM has got to be one of the best tools ever..

I have setup a local repository for the base RPM's and I have mirrored my local mirror for updates, then I configured my laptop and desktop to use the local repo's..

Its awesome, anything I want is just a "yum install" away and I don't have to wait hours for it to download over my ISDN line..

If you have more than 2 or 3 PC's running FC I strongly recommend setting up a local repo..

Later..

ISDN, ouch! You have no other method of connecting to the Intenet? I did ISDN for years, even kept it as a hot-backup when I got cable modem access. At 2 cents per channel per minute those charges quickly added up to monthly charges in excess of $ 300. But that was when I was billing 60 hours per week and it was just a write-off.
Where can I get more info on your local repository and mirroring?

Yea, ISDN is a PITA since everything NEEDS broadband speeds these days..

The base repo is setup by copying all the .rpm files from the CDs (/Fedora/RPMS/*.rpm) to a dir on your PC that is going to hold your mirror. then in that dir run "yum-arch ." wich will create the headers..

The updates mirroring is done using rsync, luckily my local FC mirror supports rsync.. Your best bet is to find the closest mirror to you and then take a look at their web page te see what they offer, some will even have instructions on setting up a mirror..

So once I had my local copy of the updates and the base rpms I setup apache to include those dirs.. So I have http://localPC/fedora/base and http://localPC/fedora/updates pointing to the base and updates directories respectively..

Finally a little modification to the yum.conf file to point to the local repos and bingo, all the apps instantly availible..

A very basic description of what I did I know..

Hope that helps..

Later..