Re: Security updates are too slow or none existant

Michael Schwendt said:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:20:38 -0500 (EST), William Hooper wrote:
>

>> Bart Martens said:
>> > No, "testing" is not the place for security updates. When the security
>> > updates are released for rh9, the security updates for fc1 should
>> > already have gone through "testing", and be released to the public.
>>
>> Red Hat is part of a number of non-public groups that discus and fix
>> security issues.  Releasing an update into testing before the issue was
>> made public would be irresponsible.
>
> Doesn't apply to Gaim

"Gaim" itself is not the issue.  The issue is there is no way for security
updates for FC to be tested by the community in such a way as they would
be released at the same time as RHL 9 ones.  The point I was trying to
make is that it is an unrealistic goal.  Having the updates go into
"updates-testing", on the other other hand, would be an attainable goal.
"Testing" is the place for security updates because there is no other way
to test them.

As Jef pointed out, the bigger issue is getting updates from testing into
updates released in a timely manner.  All this discussion is about 4
packages, 2 of which have updates in testing now, and I saw this morning 1
of which (gaim) has an updated packages posted to bugzilla (but not in the
official channels yet).

--
William Hooper