Re: Ipchains / FC1 Kernel Incompatibility

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:46:18 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

> Björn Persson wrote:
>
> > Paul Dubinsky wrote:
> >
> >> Whenever I run "service ipchains status", Fedora reports "ipchains
> >> not compatible with this kernel". Is this true? Iptables works fine
> >> and Ipchains seems to start. I'm confused.
> >
> > I read somewhere that you can't use both IPtables and IPchains at the
> > same time. And I see no reason why anyone would want to.
>
> AFAIK ipchains runs user-mode.  Iptables runs kernel-mode and is preferred.

Ipchains is from Linux kernel 2.2 times. In the 2.4 kernel series it is
only a restricted compatibility layer on top of the new netfilter
(iptables) architecture. It doesn't offer everything ipchains in the
2.2 kernels offered.

> I understand that in the 2.6 kernel ipchains will NOT be supported, and
> it has been deprecated since the 2.4 kernel came out.
>
> It is possible that ipchains is not even supported in FC1, but I have
> not tested that since I already use iptables.

Well, the ipchains user-space tools package is available.