Re: Ipchains / FC1 Kernel Incompatibility

From: "Paul Dubinsky" <pdubinsky@xxxxxxxxxx>

--8<--
Whenever I run "service ipchains status", Fedora reports "ipchains not
compatible with this kernel". Is this true? Iptables works fine and
Ipchains seems to start. I'm confused.

--8<--

IPChains may appear to work with a 2.4 level kernel. It does not work
fully. I'd not trust it after the way it made hash of the rule set I
had evolved on 2.2 level kernels. Moving over to IPTables was a pain
in the backside. But once I got it done it was simpler and clearer
about what was going on. I have all my IPChains functionality and more.

Check out http://www.netfilter.org/ for the definative set of documentation
collection. I found a couple suitable example set of rules there. One was
simple and the other more exhaustive. Both were reasonably well documented.
I picked the high security version and setup the specific mods I needed
to make it run correctly for my system. The time I spent was well worth
the problem. Fedora would be well to simply discontinue automatically
installing the rather incomplete ipchains EMULATION. Including it gives
a false sense of security and functionality for users.

{^_^}