new nvidia driver makes dell LCD display look like ... well, crap

  i just this minute upgraded my FC 1 system on my inspiron 8100 to the
2149.nptl kernel and grabbed the newest nvidia (5336) driver.  a quick run
of the nvidia installer program, make sure /etc/X11/XF86Config refers to
"nvidia" and not the generic "nv", "startx" and ... yeesh.

  in my konsoles and on the web page in konqueror, there's an unpleasant
ghosting effect around many black letters -- either pink or light blue,
the kind of effect you get when multiple guns aren't completely aligned.
very annoying.  readable, but annoying.

  i bailed from KDE, switched the config file to refer to "nv" rather than
"nvidia", and it's fine.  has anyone else had this problem?  i don't
recall ever running into this before.

rday