Re: new nvidia driver makes dell LCD display look like ... well, crap

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  in my konsoles and on the web page in konqueror, there's an unpleasant
ghosting effect around many black letters -- either pink or light blue,
the kind of effect you get when multiple guns aren't completely aligned.
very annoying.  readable, but annoying.

Sounds to me like you have subpixel smoothing turned on for the wrong type of subpixel ordering, and/or the nvidia driver may not be giving you the correct resolution. Check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file for that.

My Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 has a native resolution of 1600 by 1200, but the nvidia driver thinks it only supports 1400x1050. To change that I had to add this line to /etc/modules.conf:

options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2

You'd have to change that final 2 to a 1 for Dell laptops, according to the nvidia README file.

Also, you may have to add these two lines to the "Device" section for the nvidia video card:

Option	    "IgnoreEDID" "1"
Option	    "UseEdidFreqs" "0"

Hope this helps.

Omer