linksys etherfast 10/100 cardbus pc card on inspiron?

I have a Inspiron8100 with a internal nic card and it works fine in fedora1, isn't there one in yours,

You will have to have a setup for your card in /etc/pcmcia/config file to tell pcmcia what the card,manfid,driver
setting is, do a /sbin/lspci and you can get info on your card, and see the other examples in the /etc/pcmcia/config file
for putting the manfid # and the driver in (your manfid # is not in the config file) That's why linux does not see it.
look in /lib/modules/kernel ver#/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/ for the diver to be added in the 'config file' there
is also a pcnet-cs.o driver that might work.
After your card is reconized by linux and shows up in /desktop/StartHere/SystemsSettings/Network/Hardware tab
then you can make a 'NEW' ethernet, network setup for that hardware.
At the end there should be a setting in /etc/modules.conf that say's (alias etho 'driver name') forget about brackets an quotes in line.
And welcome to Linux, this how we learn linux.

LOL
Jim Tate