Re: Open Office

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 prata@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:43:59AM +0200, Chadley Wilson penned with great insight:
> > Good morning fellow users
> >
> > 2 things
> >
> > 1st
> > isnt there a better frontend for rpms
>  <snipped you know what you typed>
> > 2nd
> > Is there a way to make open office 1.1 load faster.it take like 60 sec
> > if not more
>
> For your first question there are several ways to have a nice easy to
> use interface. One of them is if you use apt. Synaptic is a nice
> frontend. It may however be a little bit overwhelming for a person
> because it lists every available and installed package. Unless you do a
> search. In which case you get just what you're lookin' for. I'm not much
> of a Synaptic user anymore, but I didn't have a problem with it. It's
> pretty intuitive, but sometimes long lists of information freak people
> out. YMMV

Umm.. you can get all sorts of views out of Synaptic, like upgradeable
packages, uninstalled / installed only.. and whatnot - look under the View
menu (and the show option right above package list)

> Up2date can use yum or apt I believe and it is pretty simplistic. You

Slight correction: up2date doesn't *use* yum or apt but it supports both
yum and apt repositories natively nowadays. There are some glitches in the
apt-repository support currently though.

	- Panu -