Re: Open Office

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:43:59AM +0200, Chadley Wilson penned with great insight:
> Good morning fellow users
>
> 2 things
>
> 1st
> isnt there a better frontend for rpms
 <snipped you know what you typed>
> 2nd
> Is there a way to make open office 1.1 load faster.it take like 60 sec
> if not more

For your first question there are several ways to have a nice easy to use interface. One of them is if you use apt. Synaptic is a nice frontend. It may however be a little bit overwhelming for a person because it lists every available and installed package. Unless you do a search. In which case you get just what you're lookin' for. I'm not much of a Synaptic user anymore, but I didn't have a problem with it. It's pretty intuitive, but sometimes long lists of information freak people out. YMMV

Up2date can use yum or apt I believe and it is pretty simplistic. You have a nice little applet that shows you the status of your machine's software. If you need an update it turns red and if not it's blue. Can't get much simpler than that.

And your second question, OpenOffice is pretty slow to open up for all people (this is relative to one's machine type and patience level though). OpenOffice doesn't take anywhere -near- a minute to open up, but it does open up a bit more slowly than other applications. Make sure your systems are prelinking, this will help you out a bit on that speed thing, but you may want to list your specs. A minute for opening up Open Office sounds a smidgen like your hardware is having to swap a bit, or (my experience has never been bad with opening apps though so take this with a grain of salt) you've got some fairly slow machines. As before, YMMV; I can only speak for myself.

Alex White

--
If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are. --Spoken in Zen