Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

On or about 2004-01-06 08:39, Benjamin J. Weiss whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

From: "Chris McD" <theratpack91@xxxxxxxxxxx>

John Wendel wrote:

For those poor souls stuck with Windows/Outluck at work, may I
recommend the latest Knoppix CD + (since you work for micron) a
Crucial Gizmo! 256 MB USB flash disk. Put your home directory on the
flash and use a real mail client.

Of course if they restrict you from installing another mail client they
probably stop you from booting from CD/usb in the bios.
Incidentally you can install and run the zip(non installer) version of
Mozilla Thunderbird (and firebird) in your Documents folder without
admin privileges on win 2k/xp.

Perhaps, but we run automated computer audits that track all .exe's for unauthorized downloads. :(

I think that when I finish upgrading my server to FC1, I'll probably try to
learn how to use mutt and just access my email via ssh...

Ben

Just curious, but could someone sneak around this by plugging in a USB flash drive and installing to that? Partly depends on if you run the scans at random times during working hours, or only in the middle of the night. And also if you only scan the HDs. I hear that the USB pen drives are causing headaches for admins who want to enforce software installation policies...

--
Fritz Whittington
"You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and