Re: Problem updating Mozilla with up2date

On or about 2004-01-02 18:40, Michael Schwendt whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:14:09 -0500, John Li wrote:

Thanks--using the command 'rpm --query --requires galeon' does show that
it requires Mozilla 1.2.1 (Epoch 35).  Questions:

1) Isn't that a bizarre requirement, to require usage of one particular
epoch?

No, not at all. If the dependency is versioned, including the Epoch makes sense.

The question remains, how you could upgrade Mozilla to 1.4.1 when the
installed Galeon requires an older version of Mozilla.

2) It is supspicious that this requirement is there--I just upgraded to
Fedora
from a fairly recent new install of RH9, and other folks evidently do
not
have this problem. How could this have gotten there? Can other
software or malware modify such requirements? (Additionally, these
incompatible versions already exist on the computer!)

You could upgrade Galeon to 1.3.10, e.g. with the package from this fedora.us mirror:

http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.testing/

It might be simpler to rpm -e *both* Mozilla and galeon, then install Mozilla 1.5 and the galeon that matches it. That's what I did, and it works just fine. I use apt/synaptic, and I *think* that these packages came from Dag's Place :-)

### Dag Apt Repository for Red Hat Fedora Core 1
rpm http://apt.sw.be/ redhat/fc1/en/i386 dag

-- Fritz Whittington Man is by nature a political animal. (Aristotle, Politics)