RE: Problem updating Mozilla with up2date

> >   I'm having problems updating Mozilla with up2date--it looks like
> > a bug that other people would have encountered.  When updating
> > from Mozilla 1.4.1-17 to 1.4.1-18 only (no other updates checked),
> > the following message pops up:
> >

> > There was a package dependency problem.  The message was:
> >
> > Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> >
> > galeon-1.2.7-3      requires Mozilla = 35:1.2.1
> >

> > I'm guessing that the "35:" should not be there and is
> fouling things
> > up.  How can I get around this problem?  Thanks-
>

> The 35 is the Epoch, separated by a colon. It is normally not
> part of the
> package file name and hence invisible unless you query the package
> headers. Have a look at what your installed galeon package depends on
>
>   rpm --query --requires galeon
>
> If it requires Mozilla 1.2.1 (Epoch 35), you should not have
> Mozilla 1.4.1
> installed right now, because that breaks the dependency and should not
> have been allowed. Smells like a --nodeps or --force installation of
> either galeon or mozilla.

Thanks--using the command 'rpm --query --requires galeon' does show that
it requires Mozilla 1.2.1 (Epoch 35).  Questions:

1)  Isn't that a bizarre requirement, to require usage of one particular
epoch?

2) It is supspicious that this requirement is there--I just upgraded to
Fedora
from a fairly recent new install of RH9, and other folks evidently do
not
have this problem.  How could this have gotten there?  Can other
software or malware modify such requirements?  (Additionally, these
incompatible versions already exist on the computer!)

John