[Fwd: Fw: Intel 852/855 graphics on Dell laptop]

----- Original Message -----

From: "John Wendel" <jwendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: Intel 852/855 graphics on Dell laptop

On Friday 02 January 2004 02:42 pm, WA9ALS - John wrote:

Problem:  I can't get any screen resolution other than 640x480 on
my Dell laptop D500 with Intel 852/855 chipset.  It is an XGA
display whose max is 1024x786 in true color in Windows.

Why don't you post your XF86Config file. Maybe someone will see somthing you missed.

Also, did you try using the <ctrl><alt><+> key combination to switch screen resolutions?

Regards,

John

This is harder than it looks - I was using my Windows box to post to the list. Now I'm on the FC1 laptop, and I can't really even configure Evolution or even Mozilla Mail because with the 640x480 resolution, I can't see the "save" and other buttons etc. Sometimes I can guess/tab my way through, but sometimes not.

Control-alt-+ keys did nothing. I'll try to quote my config file below. Pse cut me some slack if this comes out in the wrong format or other bad Netiquette...

Sheesh, I guess I'll attach it...

# XFree86 4 configuration created by redhat-config-xfree86

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"
#
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
	Identifier  "DevInputMice"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
	VertRefresh  59.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection