Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

On or about 2004-01-02 14:17, Rick Stevens whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 13:42 1/2/2004, you [[[the OP]]] wrote:

My first attempt at posting messages
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00008.html) gave
me what I wanted - a solution. But I do not appear to have the reply part of
this figured out, as the responses are not placed where I want them to go.

This is a specific featuer to your mail client. LookOut and LookOut Express will always place the cursor for reply above the quoted text (top-posting), which is great for one-on-one conversations but murder for mailing lists and newsgroups (one-to-many communication). There is no way to change that, I think, just more work for you. Eudora is a lot more flexible and respects the standards.

Is there an ettiquette document? How should replies be formatted?

All I can suggest off the top of my head is:

http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html

Doubtless there are others.

Try http://www.rhil.net/docs/rhil-guide.thml

It was written for the redhat-install-list, but it's valid for this one,
too.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-         We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?       -

A few things at http://www.rhil.net/docs/rhil-guide.html might need revision or explanation. For instance, MIME is a no-no, but your own posting contains:

(which I don't disagree with in the least!) I'm just saying it doesn't fit what the guide says...

The guide also says to disable quoted-printable, and use 8-bit transfer, but you are using 7-bit transfer.

It also seems to me that anyone running either Fedora or even (gasp!) Windows would have ready access to a MIME-compliant (or at least MIME-tolerant, in the case of text) MUA. Would someone running Fedora actually be reading his email on a PDP-11 using the 1983 version of Berkeley mail? :-( Even the elm of that vintage was MIME-tolerant.

--
Fritz Whittington
Slow but sure moves the might of the gods. (Euripides, The Bacchae, circa 407 B.C.)