Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

At 13:42 1/2/2004, you wrote:
My first attempt at posting messages
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00008.html) gave
me what I wanted - a solution. But I do not appear to have the reply part of
this figured out, as the responses are not placed where I want them to go.

This is a specific featuer to your mail client. LookOut and LookOut Express will always place the cursor for reply above the quoted text (top-posting), which is great for one-on-one conversations but murder for mailing lists and newsgroups (one-to-many communication). There is no way to change that, I think, just more work for you. Eudora is a lot more flexible and respects the standards.

Is there an ettiquette document? How should replies be formatted?

All I can suggest off the top of my head is:

http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html

Doubtless there are others.

tried clicking on the Reply-To link in the email, but it doesn't copy any of
the original text. Do I have something setup wrong? Does my using XP to
reply have anything to do with it?

Your operating system (XP) will not be a factor. Which program you're using to read mail will be. Are you reading this via webmail of some sort? LookOut (normal or express)? Some other program?

As far as formatting, I can suggest only three important guidelines for participating on most mailing lists:

1. Do not use HTML in your mail. Many members use text consoles and programs which cannot handle it, and those people who get all of one day's mail in a single "digest" message get your HTML translated to text, making the message both huge and nearly unreadable. Finally, HTML mail can carry executable code leading to the possibility of virii and other infections. That's why it's considered rude and improper to use HTML mail on lists.

2. Bottom-post, never top-post. When there are this many messages to read, people will not remember exactly what you said last time and will have to re-read part of the last message to establish context. Don't make them read bottom-to-top or find the answer before the question; it's confusing and annoying. Perhaps most importantly, even though a few people disagree, the majority of the list community has decided that bottom-posting is preferred here, and respecting the community's rules is one of the basics of courteous behavior.

3. Trim unnecessary text from previous emails when replying, and leave only whatever is necessary for the reader to understand what you are responding to as well as your response. Note the formatting of this email: one or two sentences of yours quoted to establish context, then my text, then again one or two of your sentences, then my text. Easy to read, and saves time and bandwidth for everyone by not including or repeating things that are not necessary.

Thanks for asking and being interested in how to participate politely on this list, by the way. It's nice to see someone who cares about courtesy.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com