Re: Are there any scripts to generate an updated Kickstart image?

Arindam Dey wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 00:32, Hans Deragon wrote:

Charles Curley wrote:

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:35:33PM -0400, Hans Deragon wrote:

Greetings.

What I am looking for are scripts that replaces old RPMs in such a directory with more recent ones and regenerate the data files. The idea is that after downloading the updates everynight, the kickstart image directory is also updated so that no RPMs needs to be upgraded after an install (well, until the next openssh security advisory comes up. :) )

To update a collection of RPMs, try AutoUpdate.

This is not what I am looking for. I do not want the original RPMs to be installed and then upgraded. I want the latest official RPMs to be installed upstart, thus avoiding solutions like AutoUpdate, apt-get and Yum. This is to reduce the time required to install a PC.

You could try creating and updates(check name not sure) directory in the
root of the installation tree where you have copied the remaining stuff.
Anaconda then automatically picks up the newer rpms for installation
ignoring the older versions present in the RedHat/RPMS directory. I know
this can be done in this fashion but have forgotten the exact dir name
or its location in the dir tree. You could get more information
searching the anaconda-devel-list archive. This has been discussed there
quite a few times if I am not mistaken.

Hope this is what you were looking for....

Mmm... Following my tests, Anaconda does not automatically pick up the newer rpms. Check this out:

# strings hdlist2 | fgrep xinetd-
xinetd-2.3.10
/usr/share/doc/xinetd-2.3.10/
xinetd-2.3.11
/usr/share/doc/xinetd-2.3.11/

# strings hdlist | fgrep xinetd-
xinetd-2.3.10-6.src.rpm
xinetd-2.3.10-6.i386.rpm
xinetd-2.3.11-1.9.0.src.rpm
xinetd-2.3.11-1.9.0.i386.rpm

So the hdlist* files have both rpms but the one being installed is the first one, i.e. xinetd-2.3.10 which is not the newest one. :(

I will write a script to generate the kickstart image directory, in Python.

Best regards, Hans Deragon -- Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant Deragon Informatique inc. Open source: http://www.deragon.biz http://swtmvcwrapper.sourceforge.net mailto://hans@xxxxxxxxxxx http://autopoweroff.sourceforge.net