Re: Are there any scripts to generate an updated Kickstart image?

> Charles Curley wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:35:33PM -0400, Hans Deragon wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings.
>>>

>>> What I am looking for are scripts that replaces old RPMs in such a
>>> directory with more recent ones and regenerate the data files. The idea is
>>>that after downloading the updates everynight, the kickstart image
>>>directory is also updated so that no RPMs needs to be upgraded after an
>>>install (well, until the next openssh security advisory comes up. :) )
>>>
>> To update a collection of RPMs, try AutoUpdate.
>>

> This is not what I am looking for. I do not want the original RPMs to be
> installed and then upgraded. I want the latest official RPMs to be installed
> upstart, thus avoiding solutions like AutoUpdate, apt-get and Yum. This is to
> reduce the time required to install a PC.

Autoupdate (or something like it) -is- what you are looking for, you just want to use it only on the server where you keep your installation files with the --merge option. I've been using it that way to maintain updated install directories for RH7.3 and RH8.0 for some time.

Something like
# automrg --updatedir /path/to/updates --rpmdir /path/to/fedora/Fedora/RPMS
followed by
# cd /path/to/fedora/Fedora/base
# genhdlist --withnumbers --hdlist hdlist /path/to/fedora
Should generate an install directory that will install the updated versions of rpms directly.

However, autoupdate will not update /path/to/fedora/headers, so you can't also keep that directory as a valid yum repository without extra work, but you could just use the updates directory by itself in your yum.conf to update already installed systems.

Then again, if you've already written something simpler or better by now, I'd be interested to hear about it.