Re: fedora versus fedora test

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Robin Green wrote:

>(Although, admittedly, the Fedora model is to try and make changes
>upstream only as much as posssible, for most packages. I suspect that

I don't really see how that is any different than we do now
though.  For example, I'm not going to not fix bugs in XFree86
because XFree86.org hasn't checked a patch into CVS.  It could
take 8-12 months for that to happen.  Right now my XFree86 rpms
have over 120 patches in them, and future builds will have more
and more.  If it didn't then what would be my job for example?

We don't really control upstream projects much, all we can do is
make sure to send our fixes and whatnot upstream.  But we
certainly should never wait until upstream projects apply our
fixes and release new versions of their software in order to ship
it.  That is just silly and needless lag.  The distro would never
be stable and/or would never ship.

Patches are and always will be needed to fix bugs.