Re: fedora versus fedora test

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 05:13:03PM -0600, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 09:27, David.Grudek@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > am referring to.  Like I said before   TOO many cooks in the kitchen will
> > lead to a big mess.
> No, because Fedora gives us a bigger kitchen! It's called "scaling".

Besides, we already have something with a lot of cooks involved. It's
called "all the packages that make up Fedora". Open source projects
- and the Linux kernel is a prime example - can benefit from having
"too many cooks" - it can be somewhat chaotic but in the long run
it produces better software.

What Fedora should bring to the table, just as RHL did before it,
is _more_ QA, _more_ dependability, than you would get from just
installing the latest versions of each package from the upstream.

(Although, admittedly, the Fedora model is to try and make changes
upstream only as much as posssible, for most packages. I suspect that
things like the kernel would be an exception to that guideline, for
the simple reason that enterprise customers want to see things backported
from development to stable kernel series, and the enterprise kernel
will need real-world testing which Fedora can provide. Not being
a RH employee I couldn't say for sure, of course.)

--
Robin